Silicon dioxide, also known as silica, is a chemical compound composed of two oxygen atoms and a single silicon atom. It exists as a white, odorless powder in its pure form. Silicon dioxide is the most abundant mineral found in the Earth's crust, commonly found in the form of quartz or sand. It has various applications in industries, including as a raw material in glass manufacturing, as an abrasive in toothpaste and other cleaning products, as a filler in paints and coatings, as a desiccant, and for various other purposes.
1. Physical appearance: Silicon dioxide powder appears as a white, fine, and odorless powder.
2. Melting and boiling point: Silicon dioxide has a high melting point of around 1713 degrees Celsius and does not have a specific boiling point as it decomposes before reaching its boiling point.
3. Density: The density of silicon dioxide powder is around 2.6 grams per cubic centimeter.
4. Insolubility: Silicon dioxide is insoluble in water and most organic solvents.
5. Hardness: Silicon dioxide has a Mohs hardness of 7, making it a relatively hard substance.
6. Stability: Silicon dioxide is chemically stable and resistant to most chemicals and environmental factors, such as acid, alkali, and high temperatures.
7. Thermal conductivity: Silicon dioxide has a low thermal conductivity, making it a good insulator.
8. Optical properties: Silicon dioxide is transparent to visible light and has a high refractive index.
9. Porosity: Depending on the production method, silicon dioxide powder can have varying degrees of porosity, which affects its adsorption and desorption properties.
10. Biocompatibility: Silicon dioxide is considered biocompatible and safe for use in various applications, including in food and pharmaceutical products.
Silicon dioxide powder has numerous uses across various industries. Some common uses of silicon dioxide powder include:
Manufacturing of glass: Silicon dioxide is a key ingredient in the production of glass. It provides strength, transparency, and resistance to heat and chemical corrosion.
Filler and coating in paints and coatings: Silicon dioxide powder is used as a filler and coating agent in paints, coatings, and inks. It enhances the durability, scratch resistance, and adhesion properties of these products.
Abrasive in toothpaste and skincare products: Silicon dioxide powder is used as an abrasive in toothpaste and skincare products. It helps remove plaque and stains from teeth and acts as a gentle exfoliant in skincare products.
Catalyst support: Silicon dioxide powder is used as a support material for catalysts in various chemical reactions. Its high surface area and stability make it an ideal support for catalysts.
Desiccant: Silicon dioxide powder is used as a desiccant or drying agent in various products. It helps to absorb moisture, thereby preventing the growth of mold and preserving the quality of the products.
Filtration and purification: Silicon dioxide powder is used in filtration and purification processes to remove impurities from liquids and gases.
Additive in food and pharmaceutical products: Silicon dioxide powder is commonly used as an anti-caking agent in food products to prevent clumping. It is also used as a flow aid in powdered food and pharmaceutical products.
Semiconductor manufacturing: Silicon dioxide serves as an insulator and a dielectric material in the production of semiconductors and integrated circuits.
Catalyst in chemical reactions: Silicon dioxide can also act as a catalyst in certain chemical reactions, such as dehydration and oxidation reactions.
At KONA, we take pride in producing premium-grade silicon dioxide powder for sale that meets stringent industry standards. Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility ensures the finest quality and purity of our products. With our extensive experience and expertise in silica powder production, we guarantee exceptional reliability and performance. Contact us today to inquire about our wholesale pricing and discuss how we can assist you in achieving your manufacturing goals.